Data from the Pew Research Center shows that among social media networks, Instagram has surpassed Twitter in popularity among United States Adults. The research states that 26% of online adults in the U.S. used Instagram in 2014, up 17% from the previous year, and 13% from 2012. As a comparison 23% of online adults in the U.S. used Twitter in 2014. The data finds that Facebook remains by far the social media site, however over the past year Instagram has made a splash, and engagement on Instagram is 15 times that of Facebook’s!
One of the most interesting aspects of Instagram is that it’s not a site, but lives only on the mobile app. Numerous brands have begun to use Instagram as businesses are seeing results from showcasing more visual images. With over 300 million monthly active users, Instagram executives think the network will eventually hit 1 BILLION monthly active users!
If you’re still not bought into Instagram, here are Ten Eye Opening Stats:
- Instagram is the eighth most popular mobile app in the U.S. (comScore)- Tweet This
- Instagram is projected to reach 45.8 million U.S. users in 2015 and 50.6 million in 2016 (Statista)- Tweet This
- More than 30 billion photos have been shared on Instagram since it was launched in 2010 (Instagram). – Tweet This
- An average of 70 million photos are shared through the app each day (Instagram).- Tweet This
- 53 percent of Internet-using adults age 18 to 29 are on Instagram (Pew Research Center). That’s up from 37 percent in 2013.- Tweet This
- 76 percent of American teenagers use Instagram, making it their favorite social media network (CBS News).- Tweet This
- 49 percent of all Instagram users use the app each day (Pew Research Center).- Tweet This
- 94 percent of Instagram users are on Facebook (Pew Research Center). Facebook owns Instagram.- Tweet This
- 58 percent of Twitter users also use Instagram (Pew Research Center). – Tweet This
- 52 percent of Instagram users also use Twitter (Pew Research Center).- Tweet This
In less than five years Instagram has gone from it’s infancy to a social media rock star, and i’m excited to see what the future will hold!
Is your brand on Instagram, would love to know your experience, and how you are succeeding, or the challenges you face, leave a comment below, or tweet me @MarissaPick.