Lecturer Richard St. John met a young girl on a plane on his way to speak at a TED conference in California who asked him a simple question, are you successful? This sparked him to travel the world for years where he conducted face-to-face interviews with a wide array of people to find the common factors with success. He met people in all fields including comedians, parents, surgeons, nobel prize winners, celebrities such as Bill Gates, Russell Crowe, Peter Max, Seth Godin, and MORE!
He analyzed his 500+ interviews and sorted them line by line mapping out and reviewing over 300+ success factors. After analyzing everything he’d learned, he came up with these eight traits:
- Passion: Love what you do.
- Work: Really hard.
- Focus: On one thing, not everything.
- Push: And keep on pushing yourself.
- Ideas: Come up with some good ones.
- Improve: Keep improving yourself and what you do.
- Serve: Serve others something of value.
- Persist: Because there is no overnight success.
Success doesn’t happen overnight and Richard St. John found that these eight traits are at the heart of success and within the foundation across any career & field. You can add in people skills, computer skills, and a wide array of other skills to help you succeed with your specific area of interest, but regardless of what you do, the eight traits above will always be within the heart and key to success.