If your content doesn’t resonate with your audience, then they won’t follow you where you want to take them. For content marketers, this is a cardinal sin. It’s important to ask yourself what kind of content universally resonates with people. Social Media is all about engagement, and driving conversation. Content is fire, and social media is gasoline, so having a basic understanding of what resonate is imperative. Inspired by Scott Aughtmon’s post for Content Marketing Institute I created a list of 10 types of content we all love to consume.
- Content that tells us a story
- Content that inspires us to action
- Content that challenges our assumptions
- Content that evokes emotion
- Content that takes us along a journey
- Content which helps to educate as well as entertain
- Content which provides a fresh point of view
- Content that reveals secrets
- Content that encourages us to never give up
- Content that surprises us
It’s also important to keep the four rules below in mind as your creating content as you’re working to influence, inspire, and drive action. You don’t necessarily need to have each of these types of content within each piece you produce, sometimes one is enough.
- This is the kind of content we never get tired of.
- This is the kind of content we always have time for.
- This is the kind of content we don’t forget.
- And this is the kind of content we want to share.
I hope these provide some inspiration to get your content marketing in shape! Please leave a comment or send me a tweet and let me know what kind of content you crave!